I was in Trafalgar Square when London won the bid for the Games in 2005 and it's been a long haul to the opening day, today. I had always planned to avoid being here but I'm glad I decided to stick around. The roads are clogged up, public transport is a nightmare, and there have been plenty of dramas but the facilities were all finished in plenty of time and within budget and there's a great atmosphere. I'm just watching the opening ceremony and hope to see the road bike race pass not far from here tomorrow. The Olympic flame has done a 70 day tour round Britain and they estimate about 12 million people saw it. I managed to see it yesterday when it went through Holland Park, not far from here and again today when it went past here on The Thames on the royal row barge Gloriana rowed by lots of Olympic rowers. Both times were very exciting.
The Olympic rings very niftily fold back when Tower Bridge goes up to let a boat through.
The Olympic rings very niftily fold back when Tower Bridge goes up to let a boat through.
No comments:
Post a Comment