Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic bike races

Along with a million other people I watched the road bike races at the weekend, which passed a 30 minute walk away. The men had great weather on Saturday but for the the women it was terrible on Sunday. It was a great atmosphere - dozens of police on motorbikes waving and smiling and playing their sirens, then the racers screaming past at over 50kph and all that followed by dozens of support cars. Britain had been touting for gold and were very disappointed to be beaten (gold to Kazakhstan and the inevitable headline 'Beaten by Borat') but the country was delighted with the less expected silver for Elizabeth Armistead (and the headline 'Queen Elizabeth Second'). There are 24 TV channels and the print media coverage is fabulous. There's just not enough time to see it all. It's a bit frustrating seeing kiwi competitors as they are only shown if they are up against a Brit, but I'm keeping my eye on the TVNZ site.
I think that might be a NZ woman in the middle. Back to the TV...

No comments: