Sunday, August 12, 2012

What's up

It's been an amazing two weeks and I've been mostly positioned in front of the TV with my computer on my knees watching a selection of events. I took a quick trip to the South Bank where there were crowds of people being entertained in all sorts of ways. There's a great atmosphere in London, everyone happy and so many volunteers dealing with all the tourist enquiries. Hyde Park had a huge venue set up with 5 big screens, lots of eateries and entertainment. I went early on on a wet day (and amazingly there were only a couple of those early on) and it wasn't very busy, but evidently it has been packed out for the last few days with hundreds of thousands of people.
They had a 'triathlon' going on - people swam in a pool against a current, then 5 minutes on an exercycle followed by 5 minutes on a treadmill.
There's been an excellent arts' festival going on as well. I've been to lots of events. I liked the fabric tree on the National Theatre.
Olympic rings everywhere
Shops and restaurants in central London have been complaining at the lack of people coming into the city. It seems to have picked up a bit, but I didn't think it was any busier than a normal summer's day in Trafalgar Square (that's a media centre set up there) and Piccadilly Circus.

No comments: