The train to Munich took about 6 hours with one change at Mannheim, but it was comfortable enough and my lastminute.com hotel was quite flash and just over the road from the station. I got in late afternoon and got sraight on an open-top bus for a quick tour of the city. It felt really busy, much more so than Paris, which largely shuts down in August it seems, except for the tourist places. It's got 1.3m people and in fact was fairly overwhelming with various church bells competing with buskers and thousands of people out doing some Saturday evening shopping and eating. It looked like quite a nice place although everywhere I go the major monuments seem to be having work done on them.
My much used camera ground gave up the ghost on my last day in Paris and I had to use my cellphone for a day, but managed to get a replacement at 7pm on Saturday night in Munich thankfully, then had to spend the night trying to download a manual in English and get it sorted.
The train ride from Munich to Innsbruck was lovely, particularly as I was travelling first class. They have good deals on Sundays. I've spent the afternoon orienting myself and it is a really gorgeous place. I've bought an Innsbruck Pass, which gives entrance to all tourist attractions and on public transport and sightseeing buses and cable cars, so it will be a busy couple of days. The light wasn't great for photos late afternoon. It's really hot - 35 degrees they say. Germany and Austria are fantastic for good, cheap food although unfortunately the apple strudel is particularly good, and the beer, which was my lunch.



No comments:
Post a Comment