
I went up to visit John and Doreen on their yacht at Tutukaka, about 2 1/2 hours drive north of Auckland. There's a small community of yachties who live on board in the marina and it's a very social place. I'll need some training before I go again. One day I got to go on their neighbour's 60ft launch to Whangarei. It's bigger and nicer than a lot of houses and purrs along.



On the way there was a huge flock of birds diving at the water and the radar screen showed a school of large fish underneath a school of small fish, attacking them from below and forcing them to the surface, where the birds were picking them off. David Attenborough would have loved it.


It took about 3 1/2 hours to get from Tutukaka to Whangarei (30 minutes by car but you have to go south quite a way in the boat) passing Marsden Point Oil Refinery at the Whangarei Heads.

The purpose of the trip was to get the boat out of the water to do some work on it.

After a very pleasant few days that included a lot of good eating and drinking, I went back to Auckland to meet up with Oliver and Rosie. Rosie was there for a course and Ol had come up for the weekend. Rachel looked after us well and I was pleased to get to see a couple of art school graduate exhibitions. So now I'm off to Nelson and looking forward to catching up with everyone there.
No comments:
Post a Comment