Friday, November 30, 2007

Singapore things

Sentosa Island, me and Flynn's father
As this blog is mainly for my own records, I must remember to document the other things I do besides coo over Flynn. In the old days, soon after I got here and when the day’s activities were a matter of choice rather than necessity, we went for a walk around Macritchie Reservoir, a short taxi ride or bike from the apartment. It’s quite a large nature reserve with a long track of about 12kms or shorter walks, in the jungle. Well, perhaps not jungle, probably more native forest but there are monkeys and other wildlife. It’s a lovely place.
Then there are the monsoon rains. Here’s a view from the balcony before and during one of the downpours, which happen most days now. They last about an hour and have spectacular and fairly scary claps of thunder and bolts of lightening. The view is towards Orchard Road and Raffles Tower is in the distance. It’s a nice view as there is an area over the road which houses a single storey hospital set in big grounds, rather than another apartment block.

The apartment itself is very nice – two bedrooms, three bathrooms, balcony, and bomb shelter. It has a well-equipped gym, a huge and lovely pool, and a tennis court. I’ve met another woman, from Scotland, here for a year on sabbatical. I’ve ventured out a couple of times on sightseeing trips, the first to Chinatown. I followed a Lonely Planet walk and took all afternoon looking at temples, food courts, markets and soaking up the general atmosphere. It was really interesting.
I had lunch at a Buddhist vegetarian restaurant and had one of the best tofu meals I’ve ever had, for $5. There are fabulous meals to be had for $3 - $5, everywhere.
Another day I went to Little India, more on an IT shopping trip than for pleasure and the IT part was exhausting. Six floors of IT shops and all trying to sell you something. I took my default position and bought nothing but I got the Information I wanted if not the Technology. I had lunch that day in a small authentic Indian cafĂ© and had a meal served on a banana leaf that was, as usual, delicious and interesting. They cater for vegetarians well, being part of some religious practices. Orchard Road is looking beautiful and the Christmas decorations are lavish and outdo most of the Christian countries I've experienced. It’s very nice having the luxury of time and not having to worry about cramming everything in before I go.

No comments: