Thursday, October 04, 2012

Chaos in Christchurch

Christchurch gets more desolate every visit as more buildings come down. I went for a walk around the parts of the central city area that are open and I often had trouble figuring out where I was.
Colombo Street, just north of the Town Hall, looking towards Cathedral Square and below a closer look at the Cathedral being demolished
View of the Cathedral from The Worcester Street bridge
Just back over the bridge, looking at the old building that used to be the Visitors' Centre with the Clarendon Hotel, first photo from a few months ago, and the second the current view. The chaos and destruction behind with the punt service in front is very Christchurch
There's a new library (since the earthquake) in Peterborough Street, which has some art from the (closed) art gallery inside and a Richard Killeen painting on the front
but more buildings down over the road
the Provincial Building, which is mostly down, but is being restored
Cranmer Courts, which used to be Christchurch Normal School, where we were taken for cooking lessons at primary school. They were demolished today, I think, with a lot of opposition
Corner of Colombo and Cashel Streets, looking towards High Street
But back along Cashel Street the container shops and cafes are really nice. I particularly liked the grocer's
Don't get excited, it's Australian Marmite

No comments: