Thursday, August 23, 2012

Basel...briefly

It was another mission to pack up all my stuff, this time with no particular plans to return to London, this year at least. I flew to Basel and had nearly three days with the Kackie's, repacking and spending time catching up. Adrianne was away on a girls' weekend in Strasbourg for the first day I was there. Blake and the other abandonned fathers went to Germany to Okidoki, a kids' play venue that was very good.
The weather was really hot. We went for a walk and the grapes were looking just about ready for harvest...
 red...
and white. Kids were cooling off in a very Swiss way in one of the many fountains around the village
Flynn started kindergarten a week before I got there. It couldn't be handier - just over the fence which makes it irresistable for sneaking a look. It takes about 2 minutes to walk around the corner. The kids often walk on their own and have a special sash
I was so impressed with how well he is coping in an entirely Swiss-German speaking environment. Fortunately there's a little girl who is a German-English speaker and he hangs out with her, but I've no doubt that he will end up multi-lingual himself.
We managed to fit quite a bit into less than three days. Blake took an afternoon off work and we drove up high into the hills around Muttenz for a walk, which was quite like being in NZ beech forest.
In no time at all I was on the train to Zurich and the flight to Dubai.

No comments: