Friday, December 16, 2011

Not-so-shaky Christchurch

I said another goodbye to Sam, Rachel and Harry after a great visit, knowing it wouldn't be long before I saw them again. Ol, Rosie and Sid were at Christchurch Airport to meet me so I had no time at all between grandchildren. Poor little Sid had had a close encounter with a carpet that morning and was looking like he'd been punched in the nose, but it was lovely to see him all grown up and running around.
Christchurch has settled down a lot geologically and, touch wood, there have been no noticeable earthquakes after 5 days here. We've had a lovely week. It was really nice weather to start off with. I was lucky enough to go to Sid's last day at music, where there was a Christmas theme to the songs and I enjoyed that and felt very Christmassy. We also went into the city to Cashel Mall for coffee. It looks good, using containers for shops. Colombo Street is looking very sad though and so many of the streets have big gaps now and most of the inner city is still cordonned off. Ballantynes' Christmas windows are really good, as good as any I saw in London
The Bridge of Remembrance is a bit of a sad sight. The other pictures are from the corner of Colombo and Tuam Streets, with the Grand Chancellor Hotel (the middle one on a lean) being taken down in the last one

No comments: