Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kathmandu, Delhi, Dubai

The drive back to Delhi followed form, finishing with a long slow crawl up a steep hill with a big drop over the side.
I had half a day back in Kathmandu before I flew out to Delhi. This time I managed to follow one of the Lonely Planet's walking tours without getting lost. I came across a very good but really crowded market.

There are shrines everywhere if you know where to look, some tiny and tucked away but quite beautiful. There seems to be no particular care taken with very old things. This buddah was 600-700 years old and sits at footpath level in a really busy square.
Ganesh is one of my favourite gods and is everywhere.
The walk took me through a residential area with houses surrounded a square, where children were playing football.
I managed to see a lot of earthquake coverage courtesy of Al Jazeera television. The next day I flew back to Delhi, then Dubai. Kathmandu airport has the most stringent security precautions of any airport I've been to with hand baggage being emptied and checked three times as well as three full body frisks. I flew with Jet Airways, who kindly upgraded me so my last view of the Himalayas was with a glass of Moet in hand and a very good meal.

Delhi airport is relatively new and has some nice sculptures and murals around it.

No comments: