Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hanmer, Nelson, Auckland

Hanmer seems a world away now as I'm in Auckland, but to backtrack a week or so, Hanmer was a great place to go to settle frazzled nerves and get some sleep. It rained most of the time, but that didn't matter. We mostly stayed in and cuddled Sid, or read books and I finally got to see the Topp Twins movie that I'd been meaning to (on DVD).
Holding Sid like this generally stops any complaining - he loves it
All that smiling is exhausting
 
Sid's favourite place for a daytime nap - on top of someone
All rugged up for a walk in the cold. Sid enjoyed it when he was liberated from the pram and could see what was going on.
Back in Christchurch, the aftershocks had certainly lessened in quantity, but were short and very sharp. I only had one day to put up with them, but Ol and Rosie report that they are coping with them fine. I left on the bus to go up to Nelson only to find that the road was blocked with a huge slip and we had to make a long detour, but I made it to Nelson and spent a few good days there saying goodbye to family and friends (nothing new there). This morning I flew up to Auckland where Rachel and Harry met me at the airport, so I'm OK again - I have a baby to coo over. He's grown bigger and stronger and brighter and I'm looking forward to 10 days here.

No comments: