Saturday, January 09, 2010

La Dolce Vita

Christmas Day at Ol's included Skyping Rebecca and Blake. It's great at Ol's as you get to see everyone life size, and the connections were even working OK.

I think it was the first time I'd joined in the Christchurch/Nelson exodus that happens on Boxing Day. I was a bit apprehensive but it was fine. I went through the Lewis which was looking lovely with lots of wild flowers as well as the usual fantastic scenery. There were a lot of cars but no hold-ups and I was at Philip and Heather's by early afternoon, where we had a mini family get together with Nev and family and Sam and Rachel and Ol and Rosie. I spent a couple of days in Nelson then drove to the carpark at Awaroa and got picked up in the dinghy by Sam. I had four fabulous days at Awaroa. There were 8 of us there and the weather was mostly fine but windy. I was there for New Year. It was a full moon. I managed to stay up until midnight. Wooo.
I did a lot of reading, talking, some walking and kayaking. The others did some sailing. It was lazy and idyllic.
It wasn't warm enough for me to swim, but Sam and Rachel went in most days.
Rachel insisted I had to get in, so I braved it in a hole left by the outgoing tide. I just managed to avoid exposure but I got the photo.
And in a burst of creativity, Rachel gave life to a sandperson. No drugs were needed and it was good practise for her. (Memo to self, must have a chat.)

The personnel at the bach happily included two chefs, so the food was superb. It even included muffins mid-morning. Excellent.

There's a tradition of a New Year's day boat race, so we took the usual precautions and staked our claim with the Jolly Roger and Sam braced himself for invaders.

I look forward to my next visit there, I love it. Thanks to the Copps for being smart enough to have a place there and letting me use it.

One very windy day, Sam took me and Ollie and Mike on a wet trip to the carpark and we headed off. I continued north to Pakawau to stay with Suzie and Emma and Daisy in their beachfront bach. I'm lucky enough to have three friends with places at Pakawau, all fabulous.

So it was a few more days of paradise. One day we went to watch the Collingwood raft race. It was a really windy, quite cold day and not pleasant even to be watching, let alone trying to control a raft down the white caps of the river. The car in the photo floated down with buoys roped to it and when it got the end, started the engine and drove out the river! Very impressive for an old banger, but very New Zild.

Heather and Colin have a place just along the beach and we had family get togethers there every day. The kids loved the paddling pool. It was warm enough for me, but I wasn't allowed in. What is it with boys and fast boats, Luca?

A nice cousinly splash with Daisy, Jane making sure there's no rough stuff.

Daisy drew me a picture which I am saving to cash in when she becomes famous later.

So now I'm back in Nelson for two weeks before I go to Singapore and Dubai. I need to sort out my container.....

No comments: