Monday, October 12, 2009

Village life

After Oxford, I went straight to my job, in the village of Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire, about 30 minutes from London at the end of the Metropolitan Line. It's stockbroker and rock star country and absolutely gorgeous. The village was not big, but they had seven good pubs and I tried most of them out. It's got a great old look to it and the film Dads Army was partly shot here.There was a charming church, full of history told to me by someone from the local WI, who was decorating the church for a wedding.
The church had a plaque for a man who had taken the young James Cook under his wing and promoted him. He felt that Cook didn't get enough recognition for his exploits and built this memorial in the grounds of his house, a big property on the edge of the village.
I was staying in a house right in the village, a few doors along from the shops, that had been built in the 1500s as a workers' cottage for the builders of the big manor house on the corner. It was two up, two down and tiny, right on the road, but with a lovely back garden. It was a few doors from the house John Milton used to live in, which is now a museum. I really enjoyed living there for nearly four weeks, with a very nice lady.
There were lots of lovely walks...
I had to spend quite a bit of time in Amersham, not far away, and the old town there is lovely. It's also full of pubs, a lot of them old coaching inns that seem to be fairly unchanged, and I made a point of checking out as many as I could.
My cousin, Stephanie, lives in the same village, and cousin Rob lives in Chesham, close by, so I managed to see them both. I quite fancy living there for longer in my own place. A million quid should do it.

No comments: