Saturday, August 09, 2008

A sailor's life for me (does the marina count?)

The weather stayed cold and wet for most of my time in Auckland so I had plenty of recovery time under the duvet. My trip up to Northland was delayed by a day because the region was cut off by slips. John and Doreen eventually made the trip down to Auckland to pick me up and take me to stay on their yacht at Tutukaka, about 30 mins from Whangarei. It's a lovely spot.



Yacht living is compact, but comfortable. Winter is obviously not the optimum time and particularly at the moment as a serious of storms have been causing havoc across the country. However, I was very well looked after and enjoyed my time on board.
We did get up to the Bay of Islands one day to lunch on Doreen's sister's yacht, which is moored at Opua. I enjoyed seeing that part of the country again and hope to make it up there sometime during warmer weather.
Mine hosts
It was good to see Heather (my sister-in-law), who is from the area and was visiting family there for a few days. I flew from Whangarei to Nelson and where Bec and Andy and Daisy and Zack are installed in a warm and comfortable rental. Andy left on Friday for Dubai and Bec and the kids have another month in NZ. It's been great catching up with friends, but is really, really cold.
Cuddle bunnies

No comments: