The man I was helping with had been first a professor of history at Exeter College, then head of the college. CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein were old boys of Exeter and he knew them both, so I had lots to talk to him about. I was there for just two and a half days then returned to my very comfortable accommodation in Essex for one night. I set out the next day for Reading and my next assignment. This was with a 45 yr old brain injured man. It was very challenging but very rewarding. He was a lovely man and I learnt a lot my 5 days with him. He goes to a rehabilitation unit in Henley on Thames, one of my favourite places, about 10kms away along narrow winding lanes, with thatched cottages, and hedges and carthorses. I had time there to go for long walks, revisiting places I'd been to when I'd worked there before.
Yesterday Sue took me out to see my grandfather's grave, which is next to his sister's, whose name I have as my middle name. We also visited my auntie's grave and the house and village that my father spent time in as a child. It was all very interesting for me. I evidently had been there as a toddler, but have no recollection of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment