Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bragging again

It has been quite a momentous week in the life of my firstborn, who not only announced the expected arrival of his firstborn, but then proceeded to tell the world that he and Adrianne had been married! Talk about trying to get attention! I thought the dress I had all planned for the Nelson wedding next year might not be needed after all but I can just put off having it made for a while it seems as they are planning to do it in traditional style later next year. The reason for the sudden leap to the alter was to do with Adrianne's employment status rather than for reasons of legitimacy and it seemed to work, as Adrianne started in what seems to be a very good job the day after the wedding. She's working as an international marketing person for an IT firm and it sounds like an excellent job with the great benefit of offering her employment fulltime until the baby, some time off, then back part-time with the option of working from home too. She made a good decision to go to a women's marketing forum and picked up the job there. Well done Adrianne and I look forward to my second grandchild very much. You can see photos of the wedding (held in beautiful gardens with a celebrant, a couple of kiwis and everyone looking fabulous) by going to the Blake, Adrianne link to the right. Everything else in my life seems a bit trivial after that. I have pretty well decided that I will go back to NZ from the end of September (for the last couple of WearableArt shows) to catch up with everyone there, then to Singapore to spend time with the new baby in November. So pencil me in for events, or create them if you have to. News from London... I just had to go to the seaside, so I took a rather tedious trip along the M2 through Kent to a little seaside village called Whitstable. It was rather charming and just like a holiday at Brighton in the 1950s. No video game places or fast food restaurants, just real old baches and fish and chip shops, pebble beaches with breakwaters, tide that goes out forever and people who are ambling and friendly. Just the antidote to the rush and bustle of London. The roses everywhere are absolutely gorgeous at the moment. Chelsea Flower Show finishes today and I've been enjoying that on TV. Yesterday I went in to Trafalgar Square, where they've laid lawn everywhere, just for two days and it was full of people sitting on the grass enjoying the sun. Very strange. Then I walked through St James's Park to Chelsea and looked at the shops that have been decorated with flowers for the Show. Of interest, to me anyway, was getting a UK IRD number after 6 years, very easily and efficiently. My old Lord phoned me yesterday to tell me that the newspaper had just informed him that he was now the oldest serving Lord in the country. I'm going to spend 6 weeks with him in July/September and looking forward to that. The tennis season is just starting with the French Open on Monday and goes until I leave London on 8th July after the final of Wimbledon. Such things help pass the time.

1 comment:

John & Doreen Warren said...

I remember Whitstable well, a lovely little place.
Oh to be in England, now that spring is here! I'm almost getting homesick!
All our news on the blogsite updated this morning.